Safety & Preparedness: Crime
Most crime in our area is petty theft and property damage. Preventing crime is largely a matter of observing some basic guidelines:
- Know your neighbors!
- Lock doors & windows
- Keep garage doors closed
- Use lighting to deter crime
- Consider alarm systems and/or surveillance systems
- For cars outside your garage, keep cars locked and all loose items (not just valuables) out of sight. This includes visitors!
Our "Safe Sands" newsletter
has useful information on ways in which residents can reduce the risk of being a crime victim.
Important Contact Information
|Police, Fire, or Ambulance Emergency
|Palm Springs Police: Non-emergency
|Palm Springs confidential tip report
|Palm Springs vehicles persistently traveling at unsafe speeds or reckless driving on roads
|Canyon Sands HOA Office
|Palm Springs Police Report
|NextDoor social network
If you need to contact the police in an emergency please be prepared to give your location to the dispatcher including:
- Nearest cross street
- Physical landmarks
Even if you are calling from a mobile phone, many police gps systems aren't sophisticated enough to pinpoint your location and may be off by many miles from your actual location.
Neighborhood Watch Program
Canyon Sands started a Neighborhood Watch (NW) program because it is the most effective way to help keep our community safe. Our goals are to:
- Increasing residents' awareness of neighborhood crime by establishing a communication network.
- Developing a neighborhood network where neighbors help watch each other's property and report suspicious persons and activities to law enforcement agencies (Neighborhood Watch).
- Encouraging all residents to cooperate with law enforcement agencies in reporting crime.
Incident Data is collected by NW volunteers, entered into a simple online form, and reported on below.
If you would like to help with the NW program in Canyon Sands, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
or stop by the HOA office for more information.