Safety & Preparedness: Emergency
We include earthquakes, fire, floods, and power outages
as emergencies although most of our focus is on earthquake preparedness. For earthquake preparedness, we use the "Map Your Neighborhood
" (MYN) program at Canyon Sands.
A large earthquake, or other disasters, are events that can overwhelm police, fire, and medical 911 responders. MYN helps us organize a timely response to disaster when 911 is unavailable. All of us, working together, can reduce the serious consequences of disaster in our neighborhood.
Our 2nd annual, community wide Emergency Preparedness Seminar
was on Saturday, January 9, 2019, 10:00 AM - 12:00 Noon at the HOA Office at Pool 2. We learned a 9-step Neighborhood Response Plan that immediately helps us know what to do – both at home and in the neighborhood – to respond to injuries, leaking natural gas, and assisting people who may be alone and frightened. The process is proven, fun, and easy.
We also introduced the Map Your Neighborhood (MYM) program at the seminar. The key to making this system work is for residents of a cluster of 18-20 homes to hold their own meeting in which they can identify contact information, special needs, and skills of their immediate neighbors. We have divided up Canyon Sands into 17 Zones of 18-20 homes. Zone Hosts of 9 of the 17 Zones have already held Zone meetings or will in early 2019.
Please check the map below to find your home and your zone number. If the zone is shaded, a zone meeting was held last year
. Hosts for these zones should consider having a zone meeting this year both to refresh everyone's earthquake preparedness knowledge and to include residents who were not able to attend last year.
If you live in a zone that does not have a Zone host, please consider volunteering to host or ask one of your neighbors to volunteer. To learn more email firstname.lastname@example.org
or call the HOA office at 760-328-5219. A new host kit is available on request that will make it easy for you to host your own zone meeting!
Hosting a Zone Meeting is EASY! Here are steps:
- Identify a place to host a 2 hour meeting for 10-15 people. Most hosts hold the meeting in their home.
- Pick a date and time and invite neighbors in your zone to your meeting. You can modify the provided invitation and put in doors, post on the clip at trash pickups, and hand out. You can also get a contact list for your zone from email@example.com and call and/or email people.
- Hold your meeting
- Meet and greet your neighbors
- Watch provided video on Emergency Preparedness
- Update provided contact list with contact info, emergency skills, and emergency equipment
- Identify gathering places for when an emergency happens. Some zones pick garage locations.
- After the meeting, distribute contact list to all meeting participants with a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org.